I struggled a bit with figuring out what to call these. They aren’t candied apple slices, but Chocolate-dipped apple slices sounded a little weird, so chocolate-dipped apple pops it is! I don’t know what it is about a treat on a stick that seems so exciting, maybe it brings out the kid in all of us – or at least the kid in me!
These look impressive but are pretty easy mode (more-so than last month’s watermelon cookie pops) so even if you feel a little bit intimidated I urge you to give these a try!
What You’ll Need
- 2-3 firm apples (I used granny smith
- Cake pop sticks
- A large bar of dark or milk chocolate + a tablespoon or two of coconut oil
- Toppings of your choice (I used Skor bits and crushed peanuts)
- Melting chips for dripping (I used peanut butter and salted caramel chips)
- Parchment or wax paper
- small ziplock bags
- Cut the apples into slices. I cut them into quarters, and then just each quarter in half for 8 slices total/apple. Once sliced, cut out as much of the core as possible.
- Put a stick on it! This is possibly the hardest part of the whole project. Try to place the stick inside the apple slice so that the top of the stick doesn’t poke out of the apple somewhere!
- Place chocolate and coconut oil in a heat safe bowl and melt in the microwave (or over a double boiler). If using a microwave, heat in 10-15 second bursts, stirring in between until fully melted.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment or wax paper. This will allow the apple slices to easily come off the sheet. If you skip this step you’ll be cursing yourself when you try to pry the slices off the sheet!
- Using a large spoon, spoon melted chocolate over the apple slice. Once fully covered, tap the stick on the edge of the bowl a few times to remove any excess chocolate.
- Place apple sliced on the cookie sheet and top with nuts, Skor bits, etc. before the chocolate hardens.
- Continue until you’ve covered all your apple slices.
- Melt dripping chips in the microwave right in a ziplock bag. Melt in 10-second bursts until fully melted
- Cut a corner off each of the ziplock bags large enough to allow you to squeeze the melted chocolate out of the bag.
- Drizzle over the chocolate-dipped apple slices.
- Place in the fridge to set.
- Once set, carefully remove from the lined sheet and wrap each slice individually with plastic wrap.
What is your dream chocolate dipped apple pop combo? I was pretty smitten with the crushed peanuts with peanut butter drizzle!