Who doesn’t love lava cakes? Seriously, they are insanely delicious. The first time I had one, which was back in 2011. I made it from scratch and it was a pretty involved process. I took a classic recipe, which had me melting down chocolate in a double boiler (which means I really melted it in the microwave), I think I had to beat egg whites and all sorts of nonsense. They were good but time-consuming.
Last night when we started to have a hankering for something delicious I started looking up lava cake recipes and they all seemed to use actual chocolate (which I didn’t have), and then I stumbled upon a recipe that mentioned that a lava cake is essentially a brownie batter with less flour.
Brownie batter with less flour? I can handle that! So I hauled out my trusted brownie recipe (found here) and tweaked it a bit to make two lava cakes.
And just like that, we went from dessert-less to chocolate heaven in less than 30 minutes – and just in time for Doctor Who.
- ¼ cup of butter, melted
- 1 egg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅛ cup cocoa powder
- ⅛ cup flour
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt butter in microwave
- Add sugar, vanilla and egg to melted butter & mix well
- Add cocoa powder and flour, mix until well combined
- Butter the inside of two ramekins and divide the batter between them
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until outside is firm but centre still jiggled slightly when you shake it.
- Let sit for 2-5 minutes to allow it to cool slightly.
- Add ice cream or whipped cream to the top and enjoy!
You can turn the lava cake out onto a dessert plate instead of eating it directly in the ramekin if you like.
[Tweet “Quick and easy chocolate lava cakes made using cocoa!”]
It was soooooooo good! And thankfully I made this a two-serving recipe, had it been more we would have had more of them to eat last night. And we would have…
Don’t forget to pin this recipe so the next time you’re hankering something delish you’ll be able to easily find the recipe and bask in chocolate heaven!
Like this recipe? You should check out my easy brownie recipe!