Today’s guest post is courtesy of Shareen who I know from back in her days studying at Acadia University when she took some of my fitness classes! Now in addition to being a nutrition super woman she’s also a blogger and is sharing some of her favourite healthy summer recipes with us. Thanks Shareen! <3
Mmm summer, one on my favorite times of the year. Basically because it is warm out, and I can enjoy icy summery treats! However one does realize that ice cream, milkshakes, and ahem gin & tonics add up quickly in the calorie department. Therefore I, as a dietitian, and for my sanity try my best to make my favorite summery treats a bit healthier. This is not to say that you can have treats when you are celebrating or are out at a restaurant (I know I do). But for those hot summer nights at home after a long walk with the family dog, or cat, or raccoon, or ferret, or whatever wildlife you own a nice cold milkshake would taste great! Or those hot summer patio days, gin and tonics hit the spot. Finally I know I enjoy a good ice cream sundae or sandwich every once in a while as well!
Now that I’ve got you all dreaming up wonderful snacks for yourselves later why don’t I share some of my tried and true recipes to make your summer a slimmer one!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake
- 1 cup unsweetened almond coconut milk
*Can substitute other milk or non-dairy products (remember though this has minimal calories and sugar to add a great base)
- ½ to 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1 Tbsp cocoa
- 1 Tbsp PB2 (found at local supplement shops) or 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp no sugar added chocolate pudding mix (thickens up the shake)
- ½ cup frozen whole strawberries
- Place liquid and all powders (or peanut butter) into blender, mix on high until blended
- Add strawberries, blend until smooth
- Add more liquid if required
Note: the protein powder in this helps to make this a great meal addition or replacement as well as a snack, keeping you full through the morning, afternoon, or night!
Watermelon Gin & “Tonic”
- 1 oz gin, or other white liquor
- 1 cup soda water
- Peppermint extract, drop
- Liquid sweetener, to taste
- ½ cup cubed watermelon
- Place watermelon, gin, peppermint, extract, and liquid sweetener in blender, blend until smooth
- Pour liquor into tall cocktail glass, pour in watermelon mixture
- Top with club soda and mint leaf (for pretty effect)
*Adding the watermelon, and taking away the tonic water increasing the vitamins received from the drink, enjoy!
“Ice Cream” Sandwiches
- 2 Tbsp Greek Vanilla Yogurt
- 4 chocolate thin wafers
- 1 Tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Spread yogurt onto two wafers, place other wafers on top to make a sandwich, then sprinkle the mini chocolate chips on
- Freeze for at least 2 hours
*By using Greek vanilla yogurt you are adding protein and still getting a yummy summer treat!